Artistic and Cultural Museums
- The Museum of Cycladic Art is a lovely cultural institution that showcases more than 3,000 Cycladic, ancient Greek and Cypriot works. It features aspects of ancient Aegean and Cypriot civilizations with a focus on Cycladic art of the third millennium BC. Apart from permanent collections that include high quality marble figurines, vases, bronze Aegean pottery and more, the temporary exhibitions also feature contemporary artworks and explore the relations between ancient culture and modern art.
- Benaki Museums
- Visit the unique Benaki Museum of Islamic Art which features a collection of distinguished artefacts, one of the top ten collections worldwide. It focuses on the evolution of Islamic civilization and the development of Islamic art up to the 19th century through exhibits like ceramics, gold, metalwork, textiles and glass, smaller groupings of bone objects, inscribed funerary steles and weaponry. During the preservation of works of the building, a section of the ancient city wall of Athens was uncovered at the basement level which is now accessible to visitors.
- The Benaki Museum located in Gazi has been turned from a 1960s industrial structure used as a car warehouse to a cutting-edge cultural centre which houses the Modern Greek Architecture Archives, and the Photographic Archives by architects Maria Kokkinou and Andreas Kourkoulas. It is a fortress-like building which opens to a central courtyard with a large space used for various performances and exhibitions. It also has a gift shop and café where you can have a drink or a snack before or after your visit.
- The Benaki Museum of Greek Culture is located near the National Gardens and the Hellenic Parliament. It is housed in a beautiful neoclassical building and was converted into a museum to display the collections of Antonis Benakis. It features a unique exhibition on Greek culture and is arranged diachronically from prehistoric times to the 20th
- The recently renovated National Gallery has thousands of paintings, sculptures, engravings and other forms of art on display with each floor dedicated to different centuries. The exhibitions are focused on post-Byzantine Greek Art but it also features a large collection of European artists.
- The Ilias Lalaounis Jewellery Museum is the only modern jewellery museum in Greece, has been in operation for more than twenty years and has organised more than 50 exhibitions and specialized educational programs for children and adults. It centres around the continuation of traditional crafts, especially the ancient art of silver and gold.
- The National Museum of Contemporary Art is a fun institution that features an extensive collection of works from contemporary Greek and international artists. The museum aims to promote contemporary culture and education in the arts and offers opportunities to interact with contemporary art through its exhibitions, activities, programs and publications. Its collection includes the works of Greek and international artists based on different art mediums such as painting, sculpture, video, installations, photography, engraving and industrial design that address current and timeless issues.
- Spend an afternoon learning all about dinosaurs and fossils in the interactive Goulandris Natural History Museum with a lovely café to enjoy a drink after your visit. It is a public welfare institution that focuses on the conservation and protection of the natural environment and aims to present the history, function and evolution of our planet. While in the area, you can also take the opportunity to enjoy the serenity, restaurants, chic cafés and lovely shops of the suburban area of Kifissia. About a 17 km drive from the hotel.
- Visit the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Centre, a building with impeccable architecture and one of the world’s leading private philanthropic organizations which has played a vital role in the city’s cultural scene. It houses the National Library of Athens, the Greek National Opera and other venues that host several shows and events.
- The Byzantine and Christian Museum was founded in 1914 and has more than 25,000 exhibits on display. This includes rare collections of pictures, scriptures, pottery, fabrics, frescoes, manuscripts and copies of artefacts that date between the 3rd and the 20th century AD. The size and range of the collections and value of the exhibits makes the Museum a veritable treasury of Byzantine and post Byzantine art and culture.
- Visit the Goulandris Museum of Contemporary Art, a modern art museum that features many works collected by ship-owner Basil Goulandris and his wife Elise Karadontis. The collection focuses on modern and contemporary art by Greek and foreign artists, including rare works by masters of the European avant-garde as well as work by distinguished modern Greek painters. You can also visit the gift shop located on the ground floor, the restaurant, the library and the auditorium.
- The Hellenic Motor Museum focuses on the evolution of the car and has more than a hundred cars from the 19th and 20th century on display. Located in the heart of Athens, it is a unique and interesting building with exciting pieces for all car lovers!